Aglio e olio is one of my favourite pasta dishes out there. It’s super simple and requires very few ingredients, but it’s chock full of taste, so I figured, why not try and make it myself?
First time cooking spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino! (Hence the Virgin Cooking in the title) I used this recipe from Food.com, though being lazy as I am, I didn’t follow all the directions (or more like any of the directions); I made up my own measurements and just used the recipe as a base for whatever it was that I did. Also, this was a Sunday evening and my fridge was down to the bare essentials, so I didn’t have some of the ingredients. Ergo, I substituted and did without some of the stuff. Anyway…
Here is my version of the recipe! Enjoy 🙂
Things you’ll need:
- black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- dried red pepper flakes
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Boil some water, add a little bit of olive oil and salt, and cook the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop up about 4~5 cloves of garlic and mince them finely.
- In a skillet, heat up some olive oil and toss in the garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Drain the pasta once it’s done cooking, and toss the skillet mixture from step 3 in a pot (or large bowl) with the pasta.
- Cut up some tomatoes, and add them to the pot/bowl.
- Mix vigorously! If needed, add a little bit more olive oil.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
And here it is…
Tada! However, as with all first time’s, there were a couple of things I wish could have been improved…
- Thinner pasta: Maybe I’ll try with angel hair pasta next time?
- Not enough…zing: Needs lemon juice. But I didn’t have lemons, so boo.
- Basil decoration: All pastas need this. Unfortunately, I don’t have any fresh basil and my potted basil isn’t completely matured yet.
Anyway, it was still a pretty decent first try, so I’m definitely looking forward to trying this recipe again 🙂